The Grade II listed County Court Building in central Cheltenham was originally constructed in 1870 and served as the Cheltenham County Court for over 130 years. The building contained a large number of original features including the historic witness stands/docks and other furniture and fittings in the main courtroom – these were all largely retained intact as part of the conversion to a restaurant.
The exterior of the building, faced with fine local stone ashlar, exhibits many complex classical details and features, along with substantial external railings and other metal work which provide additional embellishment.
The development was carried out in two phases – firstly the landlord’s works to repair/refurbish the building structure and create the spaces required for the stage two fit-out by the tenant. The development was awarded a commendation in the 2012 Cheltenham Civic Awards.