St Helens House is a previous inclusion on the English Heritage "Buildings at Risk" register. Grade 1 listed and occupying a prominent site in the centre of Derby, the building has been sensitively conserved and converted using best conservation practice. BHB worked closely alongside English Heritage and the Derby Council conservation team to find a sustainable long term use for the building which reopened recently as a office for a leading sizeable regional accountancy firm.
BHB were involved in assessing the condition, significance and related costs of repair to establish requirements for a funding package. This included designs for a sizeable enabling development on adjacent land. Works included conservation of the fine interiors including metalwork to stairs and highly decorative plaster ceilings to the principal rooms. Externally extensive repairs were undertaken to the stone facade, cornice and pediment whilst the building was completely re-roofed, overhauling internal rainwater pipes.
The building was built in the Palladian style around 1726 as a private residence. It later became Derby Grammar School until becoming council offices in 1972. The new office use sensitively reuses the buildings without extensive internal alteration or subdivision of primary rooms. The project was a recipient of a Georgian Group award in 2014 as well as other regional civic awards.